The Google Cloud Platform comprises many of Google’s top tools for developers. Here are 10 things you might not know about Google Cloud.
1. AppEngine – PaaS – Supports Python, Go, Ruby, Java, Node.js, PHP and C#. It also comes with ready to go Task Queues, NoSQL DataStore, MemCache without any extra installation or configuration, simply import the library and start writing code ! Let Google handle scaling and availability.
2. BigQuery offers a ready to go relational analytics warehouse with no installation, simply load up the data and start writing SQL queries. The amazing thing is the speed in which it filters and joins the data even up to Petabyte scales. Also with pay as you use, it makes it easy for companies to start doing analytics on their data right away.
3. DialogFlow API makes it easy for companies to start programming bots to provide automated order taking, or first line support, thus creating cost savings right away.
4. Cloud Spanner provides a multi regional relational, transactional database service with 99.999% availability. If you plan to bring your application multi-regional, there is no other low-hassle relational database service available like Cloud Spanner, that is battle-tested by Google themselves.
5. DataProc + Preemptible VMs. This concept means that you can start up a pre-configured hadoop cluster, which ensures correctness, while taking advantage of the incredible cost savings of up to 80% using preemptible VMs. This is a perfect match.
6. Google Pub/Sub allows you to start up a messaging service serverless, and start publishing and consuming messages at an elastic scale. Great for distributed projects!
7. Google’s ready to go Machine Learning APIs, Speech, Vision, Natural Language API, Translate and Video Intelligence are trained and continually refined by Google’s Brain team with Google’s vast access to data.
8. Google Cloud DNS – 100% uptime. Enough said.
9. Google Stackdriver – Having one dashboard to see all your applications and their error reporting, makes the life of developers and devops so much easier and increase their bug finding and resolution times.
10. Containers and Kubernetes, an abstract concept, but an important way of working in the future. Don’t spend time configuring and installing prerequisites on servers. Describe your requirements in a file, and build once as a container to save so much time.