Networking in Google Cloud Platform
This two-day course provides participants with an in-depth look at the various networking options available on the Google Cloud Platform.
Through a series of presentations, demonstrations and hands-on workshops, participants learn about and deploy GCP network components such as VPC networks, subnets, firewalls, interconnects, load balancers, Cloud DNS, Cloud CDN and Cloud NAT. The course also covers the most common network design schemas and automated deployment using Deployment Manager or Terraform.
- Duration: 2 days
- Format: Face-to-face or distance learning
- Prerequisites: Completion of the course Architecting with Google Compute Engine or equivalent experience. Knowledge and practical experience of GCP and cloud computing concepts.
- Audience: Cloud architects, cloud engineers, network administrators and engineers
- Price: Please contact us
- More information in our training catalogue
The course in detail
Module 1: Google Cloud VPC networking basics
- Understand that networks belong to projects.
Learn the differences between default, automatic and custom networks.
- Create networks and sub-networks.
- Understand how IPv4 addresses are assigned to
- Compute Engine instances.
- Publish domain names using Google Cloud DNS.
- Create Compute Engine instances with IP address aliases.
- Create Compute Engine instances with multiple virtual network interfaces.
Module 2: Access control to VPC networks
- Understand the effect of IAM rules on VPC networks.
- Control access to network resources using service accounts.
- Control access to Compute Engine instances using tag-based firewall rules.
Module 3: Network sharing between several projects
- Learn about the global workflow for configuring a shared VPC.
- Differentiate between IAM roles that manage network resources.
- Set up peering between unlinked VPC networks.
- Learn about the use cases of a shared VPC and those of VPC network peering.
Module 4: Load balancing
- Learn about the different load balancing services.
- Configure HTTP(S) Layer 7 load balancing.
- Learn about whitelisting and blacklisting IP traffic with Cloud Armor.
- Learn how to cache content using Cloud CDN.
- Explain TCP or SSL Layer 4 proxy load balancing.
- Explain regional network load balancing.
- Configure internal load balancing.
- Consider the options for enabling IPv6 internet connectivity for GCP load balancers.
- Determine which GCP load balancer to use for different cases.
Module 5: Hybrid connectivity
- Learn about the GCP interconnection and peering services available to connect your infrastructure to GCP.
- Understand dedicated interconnection and partner interconnection.
- Learn about the global workflow for configuring a dedicated interconnection.
- Establish a connection to a VPN with Cloud Router.
- Determine which GCP interconnection service to use in different cases.
- Understand direct and partner peering.
- Determine which GCP peering service to use in different cases.
Module 6: Networking pricing and billing
- Understand methods of billing for networking functions.
- Leverage network service levels to optimise expenditure.
- Determine which network service level to use in different cases.
- Learn how labels can help you understand networking expenses.
Module 7: Network design and deployment
- Learn the most common network design schemas.
- Set up private access to Google to allow access to certain Google Cloud services from VM instances with only internal IP addresses.
- Configure Cloud NAT to authorise your instances without public IP addresses to access the internet.
- Automate network deployment using Deployment
- Manager or Terraform.
- Launch networking solutions using the Cloud Marketplace.
Module 8: Network monitoring and troubleshooting
- Configure availability tests, alert rules and graphs for your network services.
- Record and analyse network traffic behaviour using VPC flow logs